We have recently learned that there have been companies and contractors representing themselves as Home Energy Auditors in order to take advantage of homeowners. These companies are cold-calling and even going door to door offering low-cost energy audits and implying that they are affiliated with National Grid or other weatherization programs. They then perform mock energy audits and then up-sell substandard installation and repair work to the homeowner.
So how do you know when a Home Energy Auditor is real?
- Customers are not charged for VALID Home Energy Assessments sponsored by their utilities.
- Utilities’ sponsored Home Energy Assessment Companies will NOT do cold calls
- Representatives of the official program will clearly identify themselves as representing Mass Save Home Energy Services or other affiliated programs.
- Look for companies affiliated with one or more of these programs: Mass Save, NSTAR, National Grid, Conservation Services Group, Center for Echo Technology, Columbia, WMECO, or Honeywell.
- Ask for Certifications, a BPI (Building Performance Institute) Accreditation and HIC, CSL or iCSL.
- You will need to Schedule an Assessment with any Valid Home Energy Assessment program.
- Check Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau for the company’s profile, accreditations and reviews.
Here is what you can expect of a Home Energy Assessment.
Energy Monster is an Official Mass Save Energy Partner for Central Massachusetts. If you are interested in a Home Energy Audit or if you have any questions about the Mass Save Program, please call us at: (508) 796-5525.Return to Blog